Predoc Program 2015
2nd edition of the scholarship program for master (M2) students
LANEF is launching for the 2nd consecutive year a scholarship program designed to support excellent students who want to do the 2nd year of their Master degree (M2) at the University Joseph Fourier with the goal of pursuing a PhD thesis on a topic developed within one of the 5 LANEF laboratories.
In 2015, two €8000 grants are available each year, to cover a 10 month stay starting from September 2015, and including the lab internship.
The program is open to highly talented and motivated students of any nationality, with a background in physics, engineering, chemistry, biology or mathematics, with a strong interest in the one of the research fields of LANEF. French candidates must have already studied/worked abroad for at least two years, including the 1st year of their Master (M1).
Candidates applying during their M1 must have successfully completed their M1 before July 2015. Candidates with a qualification equivalent to M1 (e.g. Engineering degree) may also apply.
Applicants must be fluent in either French or English, depending on the M2 program chosen, and they must make contact with the director of the relevant M2 program.
M2 programs in English: To attend M2 courses taught in English, the applicant’s TOEFL score must be higher than 79-80 (internet based) or higher than 6 for the IELTS (or an equivalent test).Within the second year of the Master N2 (Nanosciences and Nanotechnology), 5 specialties are offered:
M2 programs in French: To attend M2R courses taught in French, the required level must be equivalent to B2.
Pre-selection will be based on evaluation of academic results, recommendation letters, and adequacy of the candidate’s scientific interests.
Pre-selected candidates will have to find a scientific supervisor in one of the 5 laboratories of LANEF in order to establish a research project for the M2 internship that has the potential to be extended into a PhD thesis project. The applicants are encouraged to contact a scientist in a LANEF laboratory in the field of their interest at an early stage of their application. They are advised to contact the scientist in charge of the relevant scientific domain of LANEF:
Photonics and semiconductors
Spintronics and nanomagnetism
Breakthroughs for electrical energy
New frontiers in cryogenics
Nanosensors and nanomaterials for health and biology
Theoretical and Computational Physics
During his/her M2 year, each laureate will be offered the opportunity to prepare a PhD proposal to be submitted to the LANEF PhD call of Spring 2016.
How to apply
- a researcher from one of the 5 laboratories of LANEF, or the scientist in charge of the scientific domain of LANEF which is the most relevant for you, or email@example.com.
- the director of the relevant M2 program.
- Download the Predoc program application form
- With the help of your contact, fill out this application form (in French or in English).
- Arrange for two recommendation letters based on the template included at the end of the application form (section D). These letters must be sent directly by their authors to LANEF by March 15, 2015.
- Save all documents as PDF files: Application form / CV / exam results / diplomas / cover letter ...
- Merge all of these PDFs into ONE single PDF document entitled xxx_LANEFpredoc.pdf where xxx is your name.
- Send this single document by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15, 2015 - midnight.
Please note that the email address email@example.com only be used to send the completed application file and the recommendation letters.
- After verification of its eligibility, each application is submitted to 2 independent reviewers.
- Members of the Steering Committee select the applicants to be invited for an audition in Grenoble, on the basis of the reviewers’ reports. The selected applicants will be notified early April. Before the audition, they have to find a scientific supervisor and prepare the second part of the application, namely the research project, which has to be submitted by April 30, 2015.
- Wednesday 6th May 2015: Auditions will be held in Grenoble, in front of the Board of LANEF, the directors of the Master programs, and invited specialists.
All travel/accommodation expenses for 3 days/2 nights will be covered by LANEF. This should provide enough time for the applicant to visit the host laboratory and to finalize their oral presentation together with their supervisor.
Alternatively, SKYPE auditions may be organised.
- Final results will be announced the last week of May.
The Predoc grant will only be awarded after the applicant passes his/her M1 (or equivalent) and registers at the Université Joseph Fourier for his/her M2.
For any further assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for technical/administrative questions, or email@example.com for scientific/educational aspects.
- Application form
- Call announcement